Primary Care in the North East LHIN
Primary care focuses on services related to health promotion, illness and injury prevention, as well as the diagnosis, assessment, treatment and management of chronic conditions.
Primary care providers typically refer to family physicians, nurse practitioners, and nurses working in solo practices or group practices such as community health centres, family health teams, family health networks, family health groups, family health organizations, nursing stations and nurse practitioner led clinics. Early in 2012, Ontario’s Action Plan for Health Care noted that planning for primary care will be brought under the LHIN umbrella.
Dr. Paul Preston, a North Bay family physician, has been selected as the Primary Care Lead for the North East LHIN, effective April 2014. He will work closely with the LHIN to strengthen and align primary care planning and help build a more accessible system of care for Northerners.
Dr. Preston will continue his responsibilities as chair of the Blue Sky Family Health Team in North Bay and assistant professor at the Northern Ontario School of Medicine.
Family physicians can get a look into their practice with a confidential report from Health Quality Ontario
Nearly 3,000 family physicians across Ontario have voluntarily signed up to receive a confidential report about their primary care practice from Health Quality Ontario.
You can sign up too to view your care patterns – including opioid prescribing – in relation to your peers at the regional and provincial levels and see how your patients are doing with cancer screenings and diabetes management. These customized reports also include suggestions and tools, like pain management resources, alongside your data so you can spend less time looking for solutions and more time helping your patients.
Sign up to receive your first report: www.hqontario.ca/practicereport
If you have any questions, please contact: PracticeReport@hqontario.ca.
MyPractice Reports were developed by Health Quality Ontario and the Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, in partnership with the Association of Family Health Teams of Ontario, the Alliance for Healthier Communities, the Ontario College of Family Physicians and the Ontario Medical Association.
Health Care Connect - Helping you find a family doctor or nurse practitioner
Health Care Connect helps Ontarians who are without a family health care provider (family doctor or nurse practitioner) to find one. People without a family health care provider are referred to a family doctor or a nurse practitioner who is accepting new patients in their community. Find out more about the program.
Facts on Primary Care in Northeastern Ontario
In Northeastern Ontario there are:
- 538 primary care physicians
- 1 Group Health Centre in Sault Ste. Marie (34 family physicians)
- 27 Family Health Teams (see full list of locations below)*
- 6 Community Health Centres (Timmins, Kapuskasing, Greater Sudbury, Sudbury East, West Nipissing and Timiskaming)
- 6 Nurse Practitioner-Led Clinics (Sudbury/Lively, Sault Ste. Marie, French River, Capreol, Thessalon, North Bay)
- 16 nursing stations (Argyle, Britt, Dubreuilville, Elk Lake, Fauquier, Foleyet, Gogama, Killarney, Matachewan, Mattice, Missanabie, Pointe au Baril , Thorne, Whitestone, Rosseau and Moose Deer Point)
- 3 Aboriginal Health Access Centres (N’Mninoeyaa Health Access Centre, Cutler; Noojmowin Teg Health Access Centre, Little Current: Shkagamik-Kwe Health Centre, Sudbury)
Family Health Teams in Northeastern Ontario:
- Anson General Hospital - Iroquois Falls
- Blue Sky Family Health Team - North Bay
- Burk’s Falls and District Family Health Team -Burk’s Falls
- City of Lakes Family Health Team - Sudbury
- East End Family Health Team - Timmins
- Elliot Lake Family Health Team - Elliot Lake
- Englehart and District Family Health Team - Englehart
- Espanola and Area Family Health Team - Espanola
- Haileybury Rural and Northern Physician Group - Haileybury
- Kirkland Lake Family Health Team - Kirkland Lake
- Municipality of Assiginack - Manitowaning
- Northeastern Manitoulin Family Health Team - Little Current
- Parry Sound Family Health Team - Parry Sound
- Temagami Medical Centre and Family Health Team
- Township of South Algonquin Family Health Team - Whitney
- Wawa Family Health Team - Wawa
- Timmins Family Health Team (White Pines Family Health Network & Moose Family Health Network)
- Manitoulin Central FHT - Mindemoya
- NORD-ASKI FHT - Hearst
- Chapleau FHT - Chapleau
- Cochrane FHT - Cochrane
- Huron Shores FHT - Blind River
- Baawaating FHT - Sault Ste. Marie
- Superior FHT - Sault Ste. Marie
- Great Northern FHT - New Liskeard
- West Nipissing FHT - Sturgeon Falls
- Powassan and Area FHT - Powassan