Stand Up! Fall Prevention Program
Supporting older adults to “be active” and “improve balance” are key components of the Stay On Your Feet Strategy.
Stand Up! focuses on building balance, strength and flexibility among older adults who are concerned about their balance or who have had a fall. Increasing the physical activity level and overall balance of the older adult are two key components of Stay On Your Feet.
Stand Up! Classes
- Offered free to older adults who qualify based on an assessment
- Designed for older adults who live independently in the community
- Participants may have had a fall or are worried about their balance.
- Participants must commit to attend 12 weeks of class, 2.5 hours per week.
- A pre and posttest helps participants see their improvement over time
- Local Public Health Units organize the classes in their district
To find out about training opportunities, to offer a class or to find out where the next class begins in your area call your health unit contact, listed below.
For More Information Call Your Local Health Unit:
- Algoma: Helen Kwolek, Public Health Nurse, email@example.com, 1-866-892-0172
- North Bay Parry Sound: Joanna Han, Community Health Promoter, firstname.lastname@example.org, 1-800-563-2808
- Porcupine: Guylaine Malette-Robichaud, Guylaine.Malette-Robichaud@porcupinehu.on.ca, 1-800-461-1818
- Sudbury & District: Raymond Beaudry, RN, Public Health Nurse, email@example.com, 1-866-522-9200 or Teresa Lazinski, RN, firstname.lastname@example.org, 1-866-522-9200
- Timiskaming: Lorna Desmarais, Public Health Promoter, email@example.com, 1-866-747-4305, ext. 2239
For more information contact: Wendy Carew, Regional Coordinator SOYF, NE LHIN, firstname.lastname@example.org or 705-840-1610